Thursday, June 5, 2008

New Openings


Crema Cafe - finally an independently owned bohemian oasis in Harvard Square.

It began, I think, sipping a morning cappuccino as the sun crept over the Plaza San Marcos in Venice, Italy. It continued when my friend Jacob brought me to Diesel Cafe. Then there was Bread and Roses in Ogunquit, Maine, which followed my sunrise walks along the beach. Such has been my love affair with coffee houses and cafes and, make no mistake, it is love. At the Paris Cafe in Reykjavik, Iceland, I watched the blue-eyed, blonde, designer clad throngs pass by. In Paris I nibbled a buttery croissant and sat in the sun of the Champs Elysee. I have spent countless hours in these places scribbling in my journals, typing on my laptop, making long distance video phone calls via wifi, thanks to technology, or just watching the world go by.


The two levels of Crema Cafe, Harvard Square, Cambridge.

The best of these places, to me, are the independently owned shops. Small and funky, each with their own style and always the very best java in town, reasonably priced. I almost hate to tell anyone about this new one that recently opened in Harvard Square I am so in love with it. It's my dream place. A swirl of international languages and faces, a great design, brand new, exceptionally clean, and the food and coffee is great. It's the most refreshing wisp of air that Harvard Square has had in years. I love it.


View from upper level of Crema Cafe, Harvard Square, Cambridge.

Crema Cafe
27 Brattle Street
Cambridge, MA
617.876.2700


It's bright. It's cool. It's Snappy Sushi.

It's cool. It's new. The design of the place is sumptuously simple and the tidbits are tantalizing, too. What is it? It's Snappy Sushi. With it's minimalist design and funky green walls it induces an immediate, zen like restfulness. And the prices aren't bad either. We're talking sashimi appetizers for just $5.95. And high quality, too. Davis Square never looked so good.

Snappy Sushi
420 Highland Avenue
Somerville, MA
617.625.0400



And, lastly, we can't go without mentioning the new Whole Foods store opening in Medford. No more having to trek all the way to Fresh Pond for udon noodles in the midst of a pad thai preparation!

Whole Foods Market
2151 Mystic Valley Parkway
Medford, MA 02155
781.395.4998
781.393.0784 fax
Store Hours: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.



Give us a free shoulder pack and we'll show up at YOUR grand opening, too!

Next week we begin a new series that has been months in the works. I have been all over interviewing the best of the very best and the results of my travels and conversations are really amazing. Keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment