Thursday, September 27, 2007

What The World Needs: Cupcakes



I really never pictured myself as writing about or covering the cupcake "scene" in my area but I guess it is, indeed, part of the food front. Especially when a new shop opens called "Kickass Cupcakes". Who could resist checking out such a place? So, off I went.



This new cupcake bakery (yes it is solely cupcakes) recently opened and features some wildly inventive concoctions such as their rum soaked, lime tinged mojito cupcake. Then there are the deep fried cupcakes and on weekends the cupcakes that mimic the tastes of all your old favorite movie matinee candy.



I decided to compare a sample from Kickass to that of one of my favorite bakeries, Modern Pastry. Many Bostonians, and visitors alike, make a pilgrimage to Mike's Pastry in the North End, a well-known and revered bakery that reputedly features the best cannoli in town. However, real aficionados bypass Mike's for Modern Pastry which, in my opinion, is superlative. And it just so happens to have a branch right around the corner from me in Medford.

Kickass Cupcakes, made from local ingredients and using none of that nasty trans fat (heaven forbid)come in a large variety of offbeat flavors. I went with the basic chocolate and found the cake to be very fresh and the frosting luscious. It really did remind me of a homemade cup cake just like Mom makes. The cost: $2.75 each.

Over at Modern Pastry I went with the same chocolate. It seemed like, maybe, the less politically correct version but was just as fresh, loaded with a frosting as creamy and buttery, and was a much larger version. The cost: $1.25 each.

For value, Modern Pastry wins hands down. For variety Kickass is the champ. And as I always say: thank God we are all different! A nice cupcake for everyone.




Kickass Cupcakes
378 Highland Avenue
Somerville, MA 02144
617.628.CUPS

Modern Pastry
20 Salem Street
Medford, MA 02155
781.396.3618

257 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113
6173523.3783

No comments:

Post a Comment