Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Life During Wartime


That's what it's like, really.  Fighting an invisible enemy.  For one who writes about food and food events in New England it's also like a disaster hit right before the war began.  We sometimes visit two new restaurants in a week and often attend two or three more food events.



It was just a few weeks ago that we had a full agenda and were looking forward to Spring, April kicking off the social season that will last right into July Fourth and beyond.  Then, in the blink of an eye it's all gone.  



I walked the streets in my neighborhood last weekend just for something to do and photographed all the signs as pretty much everything has been closed except for the drug store and a few small restaurants willing to live on takeout only.  A ghost town.  So quiet.  Everything cancelled.  



Since then things have been changing daily, sometimes hourly.  I'm still at work although I am now wearing a mask and gloves and my hands have been washed and sanitized so much that they are like sandpaper.  And all I want to do at home is eat.



They say that the worst is yet to come.  Stay safe, stay healthy, eat well and be grateful for each day we have when we are not sick.  Hopefully I will see you all once all this subsides.



The saddest part of all is that some restaurants just will not survive this.  Higher end doesn't lend itself to a carryout bag.  People want the lighting, the atmosphere, a full dining room, a well-crafted cocktail.  Others can do it but for how long?  That cocktail is often the only surefire money-maker on the menu.  Other restaurants have already announced they they are closing their doors for good.  

Whether it's weeks or months I like to think we will all survive and be back.  Things will certainly change and those who were barely making it month to month will be gone or find a way to reinvent.  In the meantime, I'll be here helping to support in any way I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment