Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Holiday Giving and Giving Back: Future Chefs

Many of you have seen me write or heard me endlessly talk to people at events about Future Chefs. As I have said many times, that rainy evening I was introduced to this organization it was like love at first sight. I was impressed with the enthusiasm, good work and dedication to service and I was looking for an organization that I could support as my own cause. I had finally found it.



Future Chefs helps urban teens grow and develop through education and by connecting them to employment in the food service industry. There is fantastic mentorship and support from chefs and other industry professionals across the city. This year Future Chefs was named one of the top five social innovators in Boston. I am a very proud advisory board member and ambassador. I like to think that we are upholding the proverbial tradition of not just feeding a young person for a day but feeding them for a lifetime.

Funding comes to Future Chefs from some of the cities major philanthropic institutions as well as individuals interested in youth development. This need never ceases, and in 2012 Future Chefs is opening a teaching and kitchen space in the South End that will allow them to reach many more potential culinary stars out there. We will be celebrating this new space in the new year with a variety of activities and would love to see you there.

Until then, as you consider your end of year giving, I hope you’ll consider Future Chefs. No matter what the size, your contribution will help make this next step possible, and continue the success of this wonderful program. A donation of a mere $5.60 will paint a wall in our new space. Many of you have enjoyed free drinks with me at elegant events all over the city. If you could give back what just one of those would have cost you it would make a big difference to us.

To make a donation, no matter the size, you can click here: Donate.

Maybe you are looking for a nice holiday gift idea? Samantha Cooper is a 12 year old who, with the help of her parents and local food author Julia Shanks, published a cookbook for her Bah Mitzvah service project. She chose Future Chefs as the beneficiary of all sales proceeds! Each book you purchase will provide a donation to Future Chefs and a nice gift for a family member or friend.



You can purchase the gift online by clicking here: Purchase.

Maybe you want to get out and do some shopping with a fun, foodie crowd? You can come to Boston Foodie Social - Celebrating Future Chefs, where you can shop for holiday gifts, enjoy food and drinks, meet authors, other foodies, Future Chefs and have your copy of the book personally signed. The event invite can be found by clicking here: Attend.

Lastly, I, personally, have a seat for one lucky person to attend a Harvard University lecture with me given by Ferran Adria, world-renown Spanish Chef, founder of El Bulli in Spain and the man considered to be the father of molecular gastronomy. This a rare engagement that is completely sold out but you could attend. If you're willing to make a donation to Future Chefs, email me your "bid" to william.mcadoo@gmail.com with the subject: An Evening With Ferran Adria. The lecture is at 6:00 PM this Sunday, December 4th, at Harvard. I will announce the winner at 5:00 PM on Saturday December 3rd but I'll be updating the highest bidder on our Twitter feed @TheBostonFoodie if you want to keep track. As always, @FutureChefs is always good for a follow, too. Good luck!

However you are choosing to give back this holiday season, and we all should be, I hope that you can share some of that giving with Future Chefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment