Friday, July 29, 2011

The London, Hollywood, CA


Believe it or not, this blog is read by people all over the world and some weeks international readers far outnumber people who actually reside in or near Boston. That's the only reason I can come up with to explain why we receive so many invitations to attend events around the country and, in fact, the globe. Some recent invites included a technology conference in Munich, art gallery openings in London and the one above, for an event in West Hollywood, California.


Of course, I don't have a Lear jet at my disposal to zip off to all of these or, believe me, I would. These all seem both fun and interesting but when we get them I have to admit that I chuckle. As if I am going to fly to California, from Boston, for a cocktail party tomorrow night.


When I received this invite to The London, a very nice hotel, indeed, I decided to jokingly post it on Facebook, saying that I am SO famous even Hollywood wants me. Friends made funny comments. "Let me get my jacket." "Let me know if you need a date." "haha"


Then, I received a late night message from a friend who was actually in Hollywood and said she was free the next evening and could really go to it. Suddenly, I was intrigued. I gave her the contact details and encouraged her to follow-up. Later the next morning, she messaged me that she was on the guest list.


What followed was an evening of Watermelon Basil Gazpacho by Gordon Ramsey at The London, cocktails with friends and an introduction to the art of Bocce on the rooftop.


My co-worker from a few years back, Kate Hamm (that's Kate in the teal dress) shot these photos with guests as she enjoyed the sunset over California within walking distance of the legendary intersection of Hollywood and Vine.


This story really hit home the fact that social media has become an amazing new way to stay in touch with friends, family and colleagues that one might normally lose contact with and, not only keep that network open, but also expand it wider and wider, literally all over the world. It's not just for kids any more.

The London
1020 North San Vicente Boulevard
West Hollywood, CA 90069-3802
Telephone: 310.854.1111

No comments:

Post a Comment