Friday, October 30, 2009

The Lobster Guy



Captain Tim Handrigan and the “COURTNEY ELIZABETH” are scheduled to appear tonight, Friday October 30th, at 10:00 PM EDT on the Discovery Channelʼs show DEADLIEST CATCH: LOBSTERMEN. The first episode aired October 16th and Captain Tim will be showcased throughout the season. Captain Tim Handrigan runs a local wholesale and retail lobster business out of Narragansett, Rhode Island. As a New England neighbor, Captain Handrigan was able to give TBF a quick but exclusive interview.

What uniquely qualifies you to prepare and direct the lobster operation?

I am qualified by time in the business. I grew up with salt water in my veins. When most people were at the beach, I was handling lobsters. I was brought up in this business from the bottom and worked my way up the hard way, by taking care of my boat, my traps, my crew, attention to detail and always trying to be the best I could be! I treat my land business the same way. I work seven days a week. I grade and pack lobsters every day with my employees. I never ask them to do anything I wouldn’t do. We want our customers to have a GREAT experience, and not be just another order number.

Do you like to cook at home and, if so, what do you make?

I do cook at home and I do a lot of cooking on the boat as well. I love a good steak on a hot grill, smoking ribs, linguine and clam sauce and of course lobster! My favorite lobster dinner has to be either lobster salad or a baked stuffed lobster, but seeing as I eat it everyday, its all good. Recently I’ve become a fan of bison. It makes the best burger you’ll ever have. You just have to be careful not to over cook it.



How has your business responded to the “new economy”?

Business has been stable in this economy, is the honest answer. I think we’ll all come out of this. Giving the customer great product, good value, timely service and excellent customer service will take you a long way.

Tell us something that most people would be surprised to find out about you.

I love to restore classic cars. So far I’ve only done one car, a 69 Mustang Mach One. I’ve been working on it for about 5 years. She is about 90% done. It gives you a break from every day stress. I don’t get to spend as much time as I want on it, but its cool to put something back to its original condition. It gives me a lot of satisfaction. I coach a lot of little league baseball with my son Connor, he’s twelve. I’ve coached and played competitive ball for years. I’m also a fan of air racing. Things that go fast. After being on boats for 30 years that go 7-9 knots, I have a need for speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment