Saturday, February 28, 2009

Venezia

Sometimes a picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words.


Nutella, bread and coffee.

I was reading about the food history of Venice, Italy all night. It has to be the most beautiful city I have ever been to. Wandering the Palazzo Ducale and St. Mark's Square was the best, and most photographic, afternoon of my life. The typical breakfast in the Palace of the Doges was fresh bread, melted chocolate and ground hazelnuts, served with fruit and, of course, frothy cappuccino, after which they would eat even more chocolate. Following hours of political and religious ceremonies they would dine on pasta with meats and fowl, often covered with a peppery orange-balsamic reduction loaded with grated cheese. The more spices used indicated one's culture and status. Made famous by trade, Venice was the wealthiest City in Europe due to import trade but always retained a small village feel. On my visit I was struck by the quality of everything. From a fresh pear for breakfast, the thin crust pizza on the stalls near Rialto to aperatifs at the Caffe Florian, it still remains my favorite city of all.


The sweet hazelnut and chocolate cream on fresh, warm bakery bread.

So, of course. I had to make this for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment