Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Joy of Country Seacoast Life


The traditions continue.

I really have not been on vacation that long. I have just been enjoying every moment. Having a few days off to me is not about sleeping it all off. It's about getting away, out of the city and relaxing with great food, people and always my camera and moleskine notebook in hand. Even on my holidays I am up with the sunrise ... or the lobstermen. Just seeing this sign reminds me of Joann Putnam (now the Chief of Police in Wells) and her Grandfather taking us lobster fishing. Even then I was fascinated by food and learning all about things. How New England is that hand painted sign?


Lifeguard stand at Little Beach in early morning...beautifully empty.

Strolling the Marginal Way and beach I can feel the gritty, wet sand between my toes, smell the clean air and see a sky and sea that seem to never end. There are no MBTA problems here. It reminds me over and over again to simplify.

One of the summer traditions for us is Congdon's Doughnuts. It's like a rustic cabin set on Route 1, with smiling people waiting to hand you a little dream in a wax bag, fresh, sweet and affordable in these expensive times. And when you take the first taste .... who cares about the price of gas?



Maine blueberry doughnut from Congdon's in Wells, Maine.

Funny how some things change and sometimes you can discover the real joy of a place you have been so many times before, just in your ugly clothes, free of iphone and all that.



Blueberry fritter and coffee at 6:00 am. Is this heaven?

I think I might take a nap before dinner.

Congdon's Doughnuts - Since 1955
1090 Post Rd, Wells, ME 04090-4500
Telephone: (207) 646-4219

No comments:

Post a Comment